Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'm Becomming 'That' Mom

When I was pregnant, I swore I'd never become "that" mom.  It started with my delusional thinking that I was some superhuman who'd be able to go through labor and delivery without pain medication.  (Side note - my "earth mother" mentality changed the first moment I was offered an epidural).  I'd never be the one to watch her child breathe while sleeping - it seemed creepy at the time.  I wouldn't worry about the silly things.  I would be able to soothe my child at the drop of a hat.  Temper tantrums?  Yeah, they wouldn't exist in my house. 

After giving birth, I slowly but surely saw myself doing all of the things I swore I'd never do.  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I got up out of my hospital bed the first night he was born to watch his chest rise and fall.  I was amazed and in awe of this beautiful baby that God had blessed me with. 

Next came the first time my son got sick.  It was just an allergic reaction to cow's milk formula that was a HUGE deal for me when it first happened.  It was the first of many silly things that I have worried about over the past nine months. 

Don't even get me started on temper tantrums.  The little guy is only nine months old but he certainly has his angry moments where he freaks out if he doesn't get what he wants.  Let's just say temper tantrums happen more often than I ever imagined and he's still so young!   I can't imagine how this is going to play out as he gets older.

Anyway......onto my "that" mom moment......

Lately, I've been noticing the fun position the little guy has been sleeping in.  It's hilarious.  He looks like he's chilling out while he's dreaming.  The only way I could possibly take a picture of him doing this was by turning off the shutter sound and muting the button noises on my camera and take the pictures in complete darkness.  I couldn't see a darn thing, but after a few flashes, I got what I was looking for.
Comfortable?

Just dreamin' with my hands behind my head

I tiptoed out of his room with a smile on my face knowing that even though I may be turning into 'that' mom, these are the precious moments I'll be remembering for years to come.

So tell me.  Have you ever been 'that' mom?