Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Great Food Debate

The little guy isn't a picky eater. In fact, he'll eat almost anything that's put in front of him. This has its good and bad points. It's great that he's willing to experiment with foods but when I tell you he'll eat almost anything, that also includes toys, spoons.....you get the idea.

Mmmm rice cereal!
Despite how much he loves food, the little guy is allergic to certain things. So far we found out that he has an allergy to cow's milk formula and an allergy to strawberries. Because of this, I am extremely careful about monitoring his reaction to foods. Needless to say, I was more than a little upset when I found out that someone on my husband's side of the family fed him baby pancakes without my knowledge. First of all, eggs are a no-no until he's 12 months old. Secondly, I didn't find out that this happened until almost a month after the fact - from my six year old nephew. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, this is why I don't like when certain family members babysit. Sometimes they take it upon themselves to be the mother in the situation when it's not needed.

Sorry for the vent, but I had to let it out somewhere! I mean really, all I ask is that if you're going to offer food to my son, could you at least ask me first? Seriously - what if he would've had an allergic reaction? I wouldn't have known what it was from because said person didn't say a word. And you know what? That just wasn't cool.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with this? how did you handle it?