Monday, July 11, 2011

Being a Working Mom

I've always said that being a mom isn't the hardest job I've ever done - it's being a working mom that's the hardest. I've wanted to be a stay-at-home mom for as long as I can remember, but it's not in the cards right now for the hubby and I. We're working hard to change the situation but right now, we are where we are.

It's difficult thinking that I'm missing milestones and moments of his life while I'm away at work.  I try not to reflect on it too often because I don't want to have a complete breakdown during work hours.  I keep telling myself that I'm working not by choice but by necessity.  I just hope that when the little guy is older he will realize the same thing.

Today was one of the most difficult days so far (besides my first day back to work). The husband and I dropped the little guy off at the babysitter's house and he started to cry and reach his arms out for one of us to grab him. He's been with this sitter for three months and has never ever cried. He's nine months now, which most people tell me is the time of separation anxiety. It doesn't make it any easier to leave a crying baby though!

Thankfully, when I called to check in on him, the babysitter told me that he's smiling and laughing and completly okay. Phew! Seriously, I can't tell you how hard it is to leave this face every day!

Comfy?
The hubby and I were out for a walk yesterday, and the little guy looked so comfortable that I had to take a picture. See the leg hanging out on the side? This kid cracks me up!

I'd love to hear from any mom dealing with a similar situation.  How do you deal with leaving your child with someone else while you go to work?