Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Being Better for your Children

The little guy had his nine month well visit last Thursday.  He's growing in leaps and bounds, and I couldn't be a prouder mommy.  During the visit, the doctor informed me that we can begin table food with him as long as the pieces are bite sized.

After a lengthy discussion of what he can and can't have, the doctor asked me what the husband and I typically eat for dinner.  When I told her chicken/pasta/lean beef and a salad she told me that we have to do better than that.  The little guy will model himself after what we eat, so if we are trying to feed him vegetables and not eating them ourselves, he'll be less likely to try them. 

All of this talk got me thinking about how I can be a better example for my son even in the ways I eat.  It's inspiring when you really stop to think about it.  This week, I've been trying to eat fruit after dinner instead of my usual dessert.  Just yesterday, as I was eating my peach, the little guy got so excited and wanted to try what I was eating.....and so I let him taste it.  The result?  I ended up with a few slices of peaches to call my own and a baby who "mmmmm-ed" and slurped his way through the peach.  It was fabulous.

So that leaves me with this thought.  How else can you be better for your children?